Posted on

PCHA to hold open house June 19

PCHA to hold open house June 19 PCHA to hold open house June 19

Celebration will unveil new plaque

BAY CITY -- The Pierce County Historical Association invites the community to attend the unveiling ceremony for a historical plaque commemorating the Conlin Log Cabin and honoring this Pierce County pioneer family.

The celebration will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, June 19 during the Open House weekend at the River Bluffs History Center located at W6321 E. Main St., Bay City.

The log cabin was built in about 1856 by Irish immigrants, Patrick Conlin and his wife Margaret Legan. Originally, the home sat in Section 27, Hartland Township near the village of Esdaile. Patrick and his wife Margaret farmed 80 acres and over time increased their land holding to 320 acres. Seven Conlin children were born in the cabin, with three surviving to adulthood.

In 1991, the cabin was donated to Pierce County Historical Association by Vincent Wood, a subsequent owner of the Conlin farm, with financial and volunteer support of the descendants of the Conlin family.

The History Center will be open Saturday, June 19 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, June 20 from 1-4 p.m. Everyone is also invited to view the center’s new display, ”Baseball, Bands, and Barbers” and tour the Conlin Log Cabin.

In addition to the June dates, the History Center will also be open with the same hours on the weekends of July 17-18; Sept. 18-19 and Oct. 16-17.

Submitted by Pierce County Historical Association

Photo courtesy of Julie Huebel

Photo courtesy of Julie Huebel


The Conlin Log Cabin, located at the River Bluffs History Center in Bay City, was built by Irish immigrants Patrick and Margaret (Legan) Conlin around 1856. VincentWood donated the cabin to the PCHA.
LATEST NEWS